PROMPTed is a weekly collection of writing prompts to inspire your writing week. The prompts are loosely grouped under a common theme and include a random line prompt, a photograph, a song/music video, a sensory suggestion and a famous quote.
Interested in being a guest programmer?
Submit your prompts (along with the relevant links for multimedia), a 50 word bio and a little on what inspired the prompts to Write Anything via Submittable.
- Let’s Get It Started
- By Degrees
- Almost Famous
- Dream On
You can find an archive of previous prompts here.
Form & Genre Challenge 2012
In January Write Anything named the Year of the Dragon (2012), The Year of Writing Dangerously, calling for writers to work out what ‘writing dangerously’ meant to them… to step outside their comfort zone for the next 12 months.
The Form and Genre Challenge (2012) is Write Anything’s platform for writing dangerously; a free writing and publishing programme for writers of all stages, genres and ages. It consists of a schedule of 52 form and genre prompts, designed to emulate a professional writing practice and submission process, coupled with real publishing opportunities.
One challenge is allocated per week, for 52 weeks. The schedule encourages writers experiment, try something new and most of all, to enjoy writing. You can view the complete schedule and list of winners or download the PDF.
Submissions are eligible for a weekly Judge’s Choice Award each week and inclusion in an annual anthology. Stories will be read and judged by a small panel from Write Anything staff and a collection of guest judges.
Objectives of the Form & Genre Challenge 2012 are to
- challenge writers to write in a variety of genres, lengths and forms — both prose and poetry.
- challenge writers to write ‘dangerously’ ie. outside their comfort zone (whether the comfort zone be genre, form, length, providing work for critiquing, critiquing others work or publicly sharing work).
- encourage writers to write to submission standard where possible.
- emulate a professional submission process — goal setting, submission selection, first drafts, beta reading, redrafting, proof reading.
- to encourage writers to manage their time by creating submission deadlines across a 12 month period.
- provide an opportunity for writers to write, share and grow together in a professional and supportive environment.
- to provide inclusive publishing opportunities.
- Submission are open for a 24 hours period every Sunday starting GMT(UCT) 00:01.
- Submissions are via link in the Mr Linky widget in a dedicated blog post on the Write Anything story every Sunday. Any stories linked via the comments section will be consider ineligible.
- All stories must be freely available on a blog or website for reading and commenting. For longer pieces writers may consider in addition to publishing the story in a blog post, to also linking to a downloadable PDF version of the story (this is not compulsary though).
- Stories must be clearly labelled ‘FGC’ and the challenge number in the heading line of your blog post, along with the story name: ie. [FGC #1] The Greatest Story on Earth
- Stories must adhere to the challenge guidelines for the week (form, genre & word count). Any stories not adhering to the challenge guidelines (especially word count) will be ineligible for judging. Any stories submitted using challenge guidelines from previous weeks will also be ineligible.
- Write Anything staff are eligible to submit, but will be considered ineligible from the judge’s award on any week where they sit as part of the judging panel.
- By submitting a story participants are also committing to read a minimum of three other stories.